In touch with Leah

Sunday, November 19, 2006

An Update!!!!

I tried to update the other day but I coulnd't because I was feeling too bored and the few words I was able to feebly type out were so depressing I decided to wait.

So.

I don't remember if I've mentioned Sayaka before but even if I have I should remind you forgetful lot of who she is. Sayaka was an exchange student from Japan to my host district last year. This year she is back in France attending a university in Paris. She's living with Guite Benoit at the moment, who is, as you may recall, my future host mother.

I've met Sayaka now on three occasions, each one with me speaking more French and therefore getting to know her better. A week or so ago, we had a party at our house with a bunch of Rotarians coming over for a bite and drink and that bit, and Sayaka came with Guite. We actually talked quite a lot that evening. I taught her how to say "cheers" and English and explained why the "r" sound is important in that word. She taught me in Japanese too, but, naturally I don't remember.

Many, if not all of you (apologies if you were accidentally excluded) got an email a few weeks ago that offered photos and to those who replied yes ... I have not forgotten. I've just not gotten everything organized yet.

That was a sidebar. Had to put it there so I wouldn't forget.

On Tuesday, me and Alice decorated the Christmas tree entirely in silver and gold, which Douglas called "moche" (I think that's how you spell it), which means ugly. Alice replied, "Ta gueule," which basically means "Shut up." It was happy Christmas fun.

But, as you Americans know, back home it would be unacceptable for the tree to be up on Tuesday because ... uh ... Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving? Nonono!!! At least, that's how we do in my family.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, this was the worst I've ever had, but not because I didn't have my family and all that. It just was an all over blah day. In a few weeks, however, I will be making a Thanksgiving mean (ahhh!!) for my family here and we're having some Rotary people over and all that. Pressure's on, Leah!

I am becoming eager to switch host families. Very grateful I am here with the Rotary. What if you had a problem with a host family and you were stuck with them the whole year. I've decided to switch on December 27. The Petiots (my current host family) is having a big New Year's Eve party that I'm invited to but I'd rather just be a guest. Victoria tends to get REALLY SUPER INTENSE when we have parties at our house.

Well, onward ho! Only 30 days until xmas hols and if I'm able to get a good train ticket, 28 days for yours truly! Victoria (that is to say, the Australian girl living with Clovis) is having a goodbye party (because in Australia they're upside-down) and I'm invited! Woot!

Okay. I'm off. Sorry for the long wait.

Love,
Leah

3 Comments:

At November 25, 2006 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you miss turkey day? What a typical American holiday though, eating, eating, and more eating. But there is a good aspect to it: giving thanks. Does France have any holidays like our Thanksgiving? As for the Christmas tree up before Thanksgiving, my mom started playing Christmas music the day after Halloween! Craziness.
What do you mean in the last paragraph, "is having a goodbye party (because in Australia they're upside-down)"? What's upside down? Anyways, keep updating! Bye Leah!
-Sarah V.

 
At December 01, 2006 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

leah
i miss u so frieking much
i got a screeenname its
claudmia
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as in mia hamm and claudia greening conbined

 
At December 01, 2006 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and we didnt do the great uncle bill chase at thanksgiving
we couldnt do it without u scraeming "children u lunitics!!!!!!"
miss u clauds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home