In touch with Leah

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I'm Back!! ... sigh ...

Visiting the French countryside can be summed up in one phrase: what the hell am I doing in Paris??????

Okay. I have made peace with my being back in the suburbs, but still.

Let me tell you about it ...

Thursday I left from Paris on a train to Dijon, where I caught a second train to Champagnole. Champagnole is a town about twenty minutes or so from Clovis's village (a large village ... ahem ... of 720 people), which is called Crotenay. There to meet me, as promised, was Clovis and his mother and a girl I didn't know but assumed was his sister.

It turned out to be the Australian student (named Victoria, like my host mum) who's living with them at the mo'.

Anyhow. For those of you who know Clovis, his hair is longer. Slightly. But the difference is there. His voice sounds completely different when he speaks French and it took some getting used to. It's even more different when he uses when Victoria and I dubbed his "asshole voice" which I heard when he was talking on the phone to someone who was bothering Victoria (what a brother!).

Guy and Joelle (Clovis's parents) welcomed me without question into their house and into their family. They are some of the warmest, kindest people I have met thus far. And Guy ... you have to love him! He'll say something then laugh this wonderful laugh like he said the funniest thing ever and even if it wasn't funny, you can't help but laugh too.

Joelle is like my mom in a way.

Well. As beautiful as the countryside is, it has a sad paradox about it ... anyway, I think it's a paradox. I've never completely understood that word. Here is an example:

Clovis: What do you want to do?
Leah: I don't know. What is there to do in Crotenay?
Clovis: Nothing. Let's go to Champagnole.
(we go to Champagnole)
Clovis: What do you want to do?
Leah: I don't know. What is there to do in Champagnole?
Clovis: Nothing.

Those "nothing"s are a bit of a lie, though, because one night Clovis and Victoria and I went to Champagnole for kebabs which were different and are not shish kebabs. They're in a pita or something. Yummy.

Sunday afternoon (ie: the 29th) we left Crotenay for a veryveryvery small village about forty-five minutes outside of Poitiers. The village contained (according to Clovis) ten houses, several of which belong to his family, and a castle. In that castle lives a marquis. A real live one. As Clovis put it "He is under the impression that the French Revolution did not happen," that is to say, that he considers the members of the village commoners and he and his wife nobility. Crazy old fart.

The Durands (Clovis's family) have a small cottage in said village that smelled like Grandma and Papa's at Eight Point. It's bigger, however, with the entire top floor being a large bedroom shared by the three young people: Victoria, Clovis and myself.

However little there is to do in Champagnole/Crotenay there was (not surprisingly) even less to do in a population: 30 village. We found ways to amuse ourselves, though. A favorite of Victoria and Clovis's was to sleep, much to my irritation. However, in any new place comes new things. Many new things were introduced to me in Near Poitiers Place ... whatever it was called ... most amusingly, French raggae music. When he was listening to it, Clovis would close his eyes like he'd been smoking something and sway slowly in time with the music. I especially enjoyed the songs half in English and half in French.

We also went to a theme park called Futuroscope, which had a theme of ... the future. It was ... there. A lot of waiting. More enjoyable was later when me and Victoria had a song writing contest.

See, on the way to Futuroscope we listened to that oh-so-hearbreaking emo music and had a wonderful time making terrible fun of it. Then we somehow got competitive and decided to have a emo-song-off later. And ... we did. After dinner, under the influence of too much candy and a bit of wine from dinner, we set to work and both of us produced masterpiece emo songs which would break the heart of any preteen who has been dumped by their girlfriend of two weeks and whose life is, therefore, no longer worth living.

Clovis was the judge, but he got and went to sleep. Don't worry. We woke him up. He had stolen my bed, anyway, and therefore had no choice. Probably because he is a loser ("T'es nul, Clovis!" exclaimed Victoria) he refused to name a winner and declared us equals in the emo-song-writing industry.

Joelle was fascinated by the whole emo music thing and after Victoria explained it to her she insisted on hearing our songs. Gooood times.

Well, I have to admit, I am quite bored right now. I am going to leave it at this for the moment. If you have any questions about my trip, please, tell them to me.

I'll update later ... in a few days ... whatever.

Love always,
Leah

8 Comments:

At November 08, 2006 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao, an emo-song writing contest... that is the best thing i have ever heard of.... a quote to go along with ur songs..."If you want to be an individualist you have to dress just like me!", lmao.... sounds like ur having a blast!!!! miss you!!!

~*~christen~*~

 
At November 09, 2006 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart leah

 
At November 09, 2006 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I hope that you and Clovis have already married, and just withholding that information from us.

Cheers

 
At November 09, 2006 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any theme park that themes "the future" can't be much fun...
Anyway dear, I hope that your time with Clovis was well spent, and that you're not too disappointed to be back in the city.
:0)
~Brit

 
At November 11, 2006 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOT! Emo songs! I want the lyrics to yours when you get back...of course, they're probably in French, but maybe I'll be able to speak enough French to understand by then. Ah! An update of Royal Oak, Michigan: Thoroughly Modern Millie premiered today!!! I just got back from it. It's pretty sweet, although I couldn't hear a lot of it 'cause I was in the pit. And Mrs. Hern has been back for a couple of weeks now; she told us the story of you and Bernadette getting seperated from the rest of the group at the airport in England. I laughed and laughed and laughed. My throat hurts, so I'm gonna go have ice cream now. I LOVE YOU, LEAH!!! MWAH!
~*~Genny~*~
P.S. All I have to say of my first hell week experience is: "I think I have half as many brain cells than I did before this shew. What's my name again?" Lovems!

 
At November 19, 2006 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read all the blogs that I have not been keeping up with (sorry!) So I am trying to make it a habit to not lose touch with you, even though we're not in the same hemisphere.
It sounds like you are having a great time writing emo songs and hanging out with the French. Je souhaite que j'aie été en France avec Leah ! ! ! Keep updating and (hopefully) I will respond to every blog.

-Sarah V.

P.S. There was the Holiday Magic Parade today and afterwards I got to says 'News on the twos!' on the camera because the news lady was talking to my parents. (Don't ask me why I said that phrase, I would have rather said, 'Hi Grandmother and Granddad! I love you!') Just something that I thought I'd tell you because you couldn't live without that piece of information.

 
At November 22, 2006 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leah - Read 11/8/06 entry...Next time I'll know to pour a LARGE drink when I check in...Sounds like You're having a blast! Going to your Mom's Tomorrow {thanksgiving] Love, Uncle Bill

 
At December 01, 2006 2:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol ohh leah an emo-song ofthat is amazing. and clovis with his clovis-ness tell him i said hi . I miss you ohh so much. however your having fun so i guess i can let france keep you for a bit longer
i heart you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home