In touch with Leah

Friday, April 06, 2007

Fine, Fine ... I'll Update, Dammit

I've been putting off updating for a week or more because ... I just haven't been in the mood. But after getting an email from Victor, my "brother" in Texas, demanding every detail of my move in with his family ... and I wasn't in the mood to do it French ... I decided to update. Haha. No French for you.

One little thing before I get cracking--whoever left that comment about my grades before I left for France ... if you don't tell me your name or how to contact you, I cannot answer your question. I have no idea who you are.

Annnnnyhow. It is true. I have officially moved in with my third and final host family. As a result, I have taken on the unfortunate and rather pessilistic view of "God damn it, my exchange is almost over!" and I've pictured myself many-a-time back at home in the US, a sobbing mess because I want to go back to France. More horribly, I'm afraid I'm going to forget French! Who the hell back home speaks French so I can practice with them??? I tell you who: NO ONE!!!

But now I have to tell about moving in with the Moisonniers. Because.

Friday evening, at about 6:30, I got in Guite's car along with all of my worldly possessions and set off to begin the final leg of My French Adventure with the Moisonnier family.

When we got to the house, we rang on the little doorbell outside the gate and Luna, the dog, had a bloody fit ... the way she always does when someone comes to the door. The maid (I still don't know her name) let us in and called Loïck to help bring all my crap into the house ... because I have so damn much.

We then brought my luggage upstairs and I bid Guite goodbye, though I would be seeing her Sunday.

See, all these details are not interesting. Especially since the next details involve me putting all my stuff into my room and organizing and shtuff like that. Yes, yes. Shtuff.

So now I live in Victor's room and I have added my feminine touch to it ... which means there are more shoes than will properly fit on the closet floor.

MY question is, come July 2, when Victor gets home and wants to start living in his bedroom again but--uh oh!--I'M already there ... what's gonna happen then? I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Seriously, though, Victor. There aren't a whole lot of exciting details to tell.

Well, that first weekend, I spent more time away from home than I did with my new family. Saturday there was a big Rotary conference, and Sunday my Rotary had an outing.

The conference started at nine in the morning and was about a half-hour drive from Maisons-Alfort. A Rotarian who Sayaka and I call "Tapin" because that's his last name and we can never remember his first name picked me up at 8:08 even though he said he'd be there at 8:10 and even predicted that I'd be late. Psh.

All of my exchange students were there. The millions of Americans, the two Canadians and the Mexican (the Brazilian went home because they're upside-down in Brazil). For the first fifty minutes of the conference we were actually ... at the conference. Kind of.

We sort of talked through it.

After those first fifty minutes they had us go take a tour of a nearby cathedral. The tour was very long. It was one of those things that adults tend to find interesting then they act all offended when we don't.

We sort of talked through that as well. But the conversation was a hell of a lot more interesting than whateverthehell the tour guide was saying. And she could TALK. It's like she bloody memorized the place! Much too efficient.

Well, the tour was so long that by the time it was over it was nearly time for lunch ... which was mostly seafood and thus not good. But the dessert was heavenly. And the wine wasn't bad either. And the conversation was nothing short of inspirational. :P

After lunch, we exchange students were presented to the entire district. After a whole two minutes of standing on stage while being talked about, they banished us from the room and the remainder of the day was spent happily chatting amongst ourselves.

In short, the day was very enjoyable. Well spent. Constructive. Plus I got a present. Taylor gave me a little chocolate that said "Ireland" on the wrapper, which he got from Germany at some festival ... even though he SAID he'd bring me a German girl. I don't know why ... I think the promise was made at, like, three in the morning after our St. Pattie's shindig.

Sunday, although with more of a variety of activities, was less amusing. I did see Sayaka for the first time since ((gasp)) Friday ... but of the three major things we did with the Rotary only one of them was interesting.

-We took a boat toury thing on the Seine. Two hours long. No. Two and a half. Not fun.

-We saw an omnimax film on Mount Everest. Mildly interesting.

-We saw another omnimax film on some African safari. Not interesting.

Lunch wasn't even that good AND ... they forgot to give me coffee! Umm ... what the hell?

After Sunday I actually started to be a part of the Moisonnier family.

I've said this to someone, already, but ... I'll say it again. With each host family I've had, my bedroom has gotten smaller and smaller and the bathroom farther and farther from my room. But each family has gotten (if my first impressions of living with the Moisonniers is correct) warmer and more welcoming--not to mention more pleasant to live with (and I'm comparing this with my first host family above all).

I'll let you all know how things develop. Sorry for the lack of misadventures this round. I'll work on getting into some trouble. ((wink))

Coming next: spring break!

Agenda:

-We were going to go to Brittany but that got cancelled because a friend of Myriam's (my host mom) is very sick ... so this isn't really on the agenda.

-Shopping ... I hate shopping

-Taylor coming over the second week of vacation

-Fasting and exploring Maisons-Alfort with Taylor

Later, all!

Love,
Leah

3 Comments:

At April 08, 2007 11:57 PM, Blogger Brit said...

LEAH! I demand to know why you were going to visit "me" and are now not going to...this is an injustice if I've ever seen one!
I am glad that you are enjoying your new host family, but I do miss you dearie. You and I can cry together about how much we want to leave the US when you get back. I've been upset about that a lot lately, to tell you the truth.
Love!

 
At April 11, 2007 10:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

um i just noticed that the subject of your last entry had my name in it. how sweet, you must miss me.
oh yeah and i can relate to your anger about not getting your coffee. once at Leo's, in royal oak, you know, they didn't bring me my water. it was the only thing i ordered! how hard can it be!!?

 
At May 06, 2007 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry it's been a while since I read and posted. Anyways, on to my responses about your adventures in France.

How many pairs of shoes do you carry around with you? Are they all your famous heels? Because the other day I was in downtown royal oak and went into a shop, and saw a pair of shoes and said "Leah would wear those!" The heels were ginormous.
I have a question. Since you're going around to all these different host families, does this mean that you're changing schools also?
Okay, I'm on to your next update.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home